first trip, five to six shifting

Hi

 Bruce (and Patty) wrote about their first trip with the ST, in which they
said:

"I've got almost 1600 miles on it in two weeks, and my only complaint so far
is
sometimes shifting from 5th to 6th gear is kinda clunky. Most of the time it
goes right into 6th, but once in awhile it does'nt want to mesh into 6th
gear. Has any one
else had this problem, it's not a big deal I just make sure I get it into
gear before hitting the gas hard."

I have begun lurking on the ST mail list, because I am thinking of getting
one.

I have read virtually all reviews of the ST, and the only thing that gets
criticized by some reviewers is the transmission.  For instance the June
1999 edition of Cycle Canada says that the gear box is a tad stiff, and that
the test bike was prone to missed shifts between fifth and sixth.  They also
said that it was advisable to take care to complete each shift.  The problem
you mention therefore may be a weakness in design.

Sometimes these things get better with time, or else the owner gets used to
it, and adapts his style of shifting.   I currently have a RS1100 BMW which
is reputedly a crummy shifter, and which used to make me miss the occasional
one-two shift.  Now that I have had the bike for a few years, I very rarely
miss a shift and find it better shifting than many other bikes.

Good luck with your ST. Try to work around the minor glitch and enjoy.

Manuel Helzel
Penetang, Ont. L9M 1R3
Canada
mhelzel@xxxxxxxxxx