I should have bought an ark...

I took the Sprint ST for a short weekend tour to test out my new three bag
setup.  I went to the Shiner Brewery, visited the Riverwalk, and to
celebrated in the streets of San Antonio for the Spurs.  I set out in a
drizzle on Friday morning which wasn't so bad, but after Shiner the rain was
fierce!  Cars were pulled over and I thought I'd go down based on the high
winds and the water flowing across the road.  I just put the hazzards on (a
Euro bike feature) and motored along.  I was impressed that the bike kept
running and no serious problems to report, but here's what I will say:
*The bags aren't totally waterproof, but I think in any reasonable rain they
would be.  This was clearly not reasonable and any sane person would have
pulled over.
*The backrest on the trunk isn't adhered very well, but stays in place fine
because of the screws.
*The trim on the windshield started to blow off in the hard rain, but i just
pushed it on and never had another problem again.
* *The mirrors, windshield, and faring wobble way too much at high speed!  On
Hwy 20 between Seguin and LaGrange I averaged about 100mph for much of the
time and hit 130mph a couple times.  The bike with bags and passenger was
very stable, but the mirrors look like their going to take off!  This is a
shame since the bike feels so stable but gives the appearance it's gonna come
apart.  I kept thinking if I let my VFR pal see this he'd thnk it was shoddy;
and he wouldn't be all wrong.  Triumph really ought to issue a stronger trim
piece with bracing molded into it  or develop an aluminum piece to fit under
the trim piece to solve this problem.

To Dean Harris; I'm a former '96 VFR owner- I believe my comments on the two
bikes is still posted on Eric's web site...

Rick Paukert
The Woodlands, TX