Re: Fitting the top rack

At 05:09 PM 6/29/99 +0100, James Gillespie wrote:

>    How difficult is it to fit the top rack?  I've just been talking
>to my local parts department who have the rack in stock and assured me
>that it's fairly simple - it just bolts on in place of the grab rail.
>Is this correct?  Is it something I can do outside the dealer?  What
>tools are needed?

You can do it, but it is a bit more involved than a bolt-on.

You need metric socket set, metric open/box wrenches, metric hex key set,
torque wrench, and a couple thick 1/4" washers for the seat lock, plus,
if you have an early version, some M8x40mm bolts.  These last are what
they call for, but are really too long.  M8x30mm is probably closer to
what you need.  Later STs have longer bolts on the grab bar to make it
easier to mount the top rack without getting more hardware; earlier STs
used bolts too short, requiring the trip to the store.  Sears Hardware
stores have the bolts.

If I were doing it again, I would replace all six of the Triumph bolts,
which have no strength markings on them and one of which stripped on me
while torquing to spec, with the Sears bolts, which are top-grade and
do have the markings to prove it.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx

End of st-digest V1999 #123