RE: 5K miles on the tires, 20' on the bodywork...

The thing that surprises everyone I usually ride with is that I *wasn't*
wearing my jacket. I am somewhat famous for wearing it even in 100 deg
weather.

An unrelated side note on the jacket - I have started wearing a CamelBak
under my jacket. It is a 70 oz. bladder with a drinking hose that you can
fill with (for example) ice water. A bit of cooling *and* a cool drink on a
hot day without opening the helmet. It makes the jacket much more bearable.