Re: To Bob in Perth....Re:Suspension Settings/idle speed

Hi Bob,  thought I would throw some words in regarding your question of
suspension settings.  In general it has been my experience that a good place
to start is by adjusting the preload on both ends so that you get no more
than about 1 inch (2.54mm) of suspension sag when mounting the bike.  Leave
the dampening adjustment (rear shock only) alone for now.  Now go for a test
ride and find some smooth roads and some rough roads.  Notice if the front
and back seem to track well over bumps. You are just concerned with how the
shocks act on the compression stroke at this point.   Sometimes if the front
forks have too much preload they will "pack up" and skip over closely
spaced, sharp bumps.  (I hate when this happens!) Fiddle with things until
the ride feels right to you.  This is subjective and depends on your riding
style, weight, roads etc.

Now when that feels alright, concentrate on adjusting the rebound dampening
(or decompression stroke if you will) of the rear shock.  The front forks
don't have this adjustment.  Take the bike through some bumpy
corners....does the rear end pogo up and down or does if remain fairly
steady?  Adjust the rebound until the rear end does not pogo and feels
controlled.

That's all there is too it...just a matter of some experimentation really.

My idle speed when the bike is warmed up is just over 1000 rpm at about 1050
to 1100 rpm.

Hope this helps...keep the shiny side up!!

Cheers,
Charlie
1999 ST in BLACK