Seca to ST

Blake Sobiloff wrote:

> My motorcycle has rekindled my single-track love, even though most of my
> riding is simply commuting. The Seca's a great starter bike, but I know
> that by the end of the season this year I'll be looking for something a
> little bigger and more sophisticated. I love the twisties, but the
> reality is that most of my miles come from my commute, so I'm looking
> for a bike that performs well when pushed but that is civilized enough
> to make the daily slog through traffic fun as well. I'd also like to
> have the option of some vacation touring, too, so the bike should be
> able to perform well in that role as well.

I just traded in my Bandit 600 for an ST.  When we were looking for a starter
bike for me last May, the "race" was between a Seca II and a Bandit 600.  I just
happened to find a good used Bandit 600 before I found a Seca.  I do have to say
I adore my ST, which I have had for eight days now, and I have 425 miles on it.
Here are some of my "first impressions".  I am 5'8" tall and love the size of
the ST.  It is only about 11 lbs. heavier than the Bandit (dry weight).  When
GenMar comes out with risers, I will probably get them as an extra 1/2-1 inch
height on the handlebars would be helpful, but it is also possible that I could
become used to the handlebars the way they are.  Another 500-600 miles will
tell.  I am looking forward to taking her on some long rides and I will let you
know what I think.  As for the twisties, she's fantastic!  The difference in the
cornering ability of the Bandit and the ST is like night and day!!  I'm taking
the corners so much faster on the ST.  As for the daily slog, I have ridden her
some on the Houston streets and she does fine and the seating postion does not
become uncomfortable.  I'll let you know if my first impressions change, but
somehow I don't think they will . . . .

Lisa White
1999 Red Sprint ST