WARNING: valve-clearance adjustment?

Hi ST'ers,
Just traded my 1997 T509 (to a friend) to pay for the ST.  It had 10,400km on and they just did the 10k service; 8 of 12 valves needed reshimming and 1 had closed completely (burnt!) with 2 others down to zero......not good news.  The compression is down on two cylinders, with irreparable damage.  A warranty claim is underway.
The recommended service intervals are 800km then 10,000km, but on the T5net list it was routinely reported that the 885/955 cc engines were showing zero valve clearances at or before 8000km (5000mi).  I will not risk it again and will get them checked/adjusted, along with an oil change at 6000-8000km.  If they are closed up we are probably within our rights to file a warranty claim as this should not happen.
I hope Triumph are listening to this!  It is such a shame, as the bike(s) are otherwise great; if this is a routine, known and understood problem why not simply recommend that they are checked at 6 or 8,000km rather than let lots of happy, careful owners destroy their engines with huge resulting warranty claims and Very Bad Press!!!
I hope the ST will be much better in this respect, but general advice from lots of sources (T5net amongst others) suggests that a 6000km oil change can do no harm.  Perhaps someone reaching this mileage, who has their valves checked could report ASAP to the list, so the rest can know whether to contemplate this.
Don't mean to worry or scare anyone; just trying to save others from my sad 509 experience.

Other than that completed 650km through the Black Forest and France over the weekend; my pillion loves the bike as much as I do (after we moved the toolkit from under the seat pad to plastic stowage area!!!).

Have fun,
Jonathan