RE: Speedo measurements

At 11:19 AM 03/22/1999 -0800, Martin wrote:
>Eric,
>How would we go about getting something like this corrected?
>	Is it a factory issue, possibly warranty?

Before worrying about the speedos too much, I need to get some confirmation
of the results. Once James does his radar / gps runs we should have that
data. Not that I don't feel secure in the results of the sigma - because I
do - it's just that I like having backup from an outside source.

Anyway, back to your question, many (but not all) motorcycle manufacturers
had speedos that run high on the plus side. Legally, from my understanding
of the laws in the US, the speedo cannot read under at all and must not
read over by more than 10 percent. My speedo is under that 10 percent
threshold, so I would believe that there would not be a warranty issue ( at
least not here in the US). I am not familiar at all with the regulations in
other countries so I will not even attempt to comment on those.

There are companies that will recalibrate speedometers for autos - I am
working with one to see if they will do motorcycle units and if so, how
much they will charge. The speedo is capable of accurate measurement as
seen by the odometer results - either the speedo indicator is not precise
or it is artificially inflated so as to have no chance of reading a value
lower than actually running.

The easiest method to get accurate measurements of course is the sigma
route as you don't have to pull your speedo, and its relatively inexpensive
to do. Or do as my buddy on his buell and mark your speeds with hash marks
on your tach....

If I come up with anything else, I'll pass it along.

- - Eric