Re: fuel gauge

At 11:35 AM 03/23/1999 +0000, Jim wrote:
>    All of the three bikes I've had with fuel gauges (all Kawasakis)
>have done something like this.  If I remember correctly, the Kawasaki
>sender is a float attached by an arm to a potentiometer.  If the
>potentiometer is wound uniformly but the cross sectional area of the
>fuel tank is not uniform throughout its height, the gauge will act in
>this way.  In other words, this is what I would expect from a bike
>fuel gauge.

from the parts book, it appears that the fuel sensor assembly is a long
tube that runs the height of the tank - my personal thought is too
restrictive openings in the tube (in an attempt to reduce the up down
needle motion when accelerating / braking) and it does not drain quick
enough when using fuel from the tank (creates and artificial vacuum that
keeps the level high) and stays high until the level in the tank is low
enough that the fuel is forced from the tube. Same applies for the fill up
as fuel entering the tank is not allowed back into the tube and it just
takes a while for it to trickle back in.

Hoping for official word from Triumph - sent them a few emails on the
subject, so we'll see

>> When filling up it seems to take a number of miles (20 or so) before
>> the fuel gauge will again read full and the warning light will go
>> out.
>
>    This, on the other hand, is weird!  The demo bike I rode went from

yes it is - - strange..... but true

- - Eric