Re: 99 Triumph Sprint ST..Need help..

Greetings Ian,

Glad to hear of your new acquisition

At 10:42 PM 03/22/1999 -0500, Ian wrote:
>break-in recommendations... If I listen to my friends
>that tell me that "NEW" engines are bullet proof, I
>should drive it from "day one" like I normally would drive
>it, I'm not so sure this is the way to break in the ST
>and am torturing myself now by not going over 5krpm.
>Any input would be appreciated....

Depends on what you would call normal driving. If its riding around like a
squid at redline all day, then no - do not ride it as normal. But if you
ride at more normal speeds, there is really very little that can harm these
motors. This question came up a couple of years ago on the T5 list and the
basic answer was - vary speed, don't ride to redline and change the oil.
These recommendations came from a source directly at triumph and from
Orange county triumph that ended up winning the Pro Thunder race class last
year. Also, a lot of the people on the T5 list that have higher mileages on
their bikes have ridden them hard right out of the box and they are not
performing any worse or burning more oil than the bikes that rigidly
adhered to the break in schedule.

Now what did I do on mine ? Followed the suggested Triumph RPM's within
1000-1500 rpms ......

- - Eric