RE: Octane Rating

Super Unleaded here is usually 92 or 93 octane.  Most people run 87 here in
the US.  Two concerns here in the US:
  1.  Many gas stations run 87 diluted with alcohol in their supposed 92/93
octane (this is actually a fairly common occurrence).
  2.  The high octane sits in the tanks significantly longer than 87.  In
questionable tanks, this can cause contaminates such as rust and water.

Personally, I run 87 and add an octane boost.  Probably a little more
expensive and inconvenient, but worth it for the peace of mind.

The rule of thumb is to always follow the manual, but in most cases you can
run whatever octane you want as long as your engine doesn't start to knock
or ping.  If it does knock or ping, increase the octane until it stops.

End of st-digest V1999 #24