Re: First Oil Change - Report

At 10:56 PM 4/28/99 -0400, Eric Sheley wrote:

>I don't think a consensus was reached one way or another. I went with the
>synthetic, but I also ran the bike more aggressively (but not to the point
>of abuse) than most. Plus that is what Triumph recommends - if you had a
>problem later on, what are they going to say ? "You're out of luck because
>you followed our requirements..."
>
>If you are really worried about seating etc, go with regular and then
>switch to synthetic at 3000 miles.

First oil change today.  The dealer (who is closed on Sunday only, for racing,
and has a CO analyzer, bless 'em) runs regular oil at the first change but
then recommends an additional change after an additional 1000 miles.  He thinks
these engines wear in too slow for a 500 mile change to the slick stuff, and
also that going to 6000 on the second change is not good either.  I think there
is probably some marketing pressure on that one.

Anyway, we put in the regular oil once more, and I will change to synth at the
1500 mile point.  Complete service was 10 filter + 16 oil + 30 labor for the
500 mile service pkg, total $56.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx