And under the seat is....

Jim Collum@3COM
04/29/97 05:58 PM

>first, what the heck can you possibly fit into the "storage area" of a
>hinckley triumph?  ;-)
>so. what was under the seat?
I live in a room in an old Victorian house in Santa Clara. The
landlady downstairs is a little old grey haired woman who loves cats.
So do I, my cat in England lives like a king. It is part of the reason
I am  living in this house with all these cats running around.
Well, the landlady doesn't like any of the vets in this area
(convinced they are robbing here) and therefore uses one in
Walnut Creek (40 odd miles north of here). She had a big litter of
cats late last year and the runt was particularly sweet but had a
stomach problem, last week he died  after being in the vets for 4
days. Landlady is most upset, and asks if I wouldn't mind picking up
the little cat, so she can give it a proper burial in the garden.
Being that she is to distressed to go herself I agree to pick the cat
up. I get the cat, (it is frozen, and wrapped) and bungee it to the
back of my bike. Heading back on highway 680 the wrapping comes off,
some pillock in a car then sees the cat and gets on a cellphone to the
police, I  get a tug near Pleasanton with lights, sirens "step off the
bike,remove the helmet, and throw the key on the floor" over the
speaker. My experience with US police so far has  been favourable,but
this was like something on"Cops", I would have started  singing "bad
boys, bad boys, what you gonna do"  but the cop is convinced I'm in a
cult or something equally weird being on  a bike, dead cat as a
passenger so I thought it best to duck the jokes.

Finally I explain the situation, but he then is just pissed that he
can't write me up for something. So he then takes the tack that
I cannot go around distressing members of the public with a dead
ornament on the back of my bike, and will offer nothing to  wrap the
cat. So when I ask him what should I do with it, at which point he
gets all smart and macho and says " I don't give a shit but you ain't
riding off with that dead cat there" So  it wasn't possible to leave
the dead cat and come back in a car "Not at the side of the freeway,
pal." stick it down my jacket, which wasn't really on (yuuk!) or wedge
it under the seat.

So that was Saturday, it is now almost Weds, I have had to leave the
bike at work as it stinks like shit and the alarm keeps telling
everyone randomly that "this Triumph motorcycle is being stolen".
I've gave it my best shot at lunch time but no luck, the seat is stuck
fast. This is not a good week, not counting the bike, I need to get a
replacement  dead cat or somewhere to live PDQ.

Jim

Before I get flamed for not being relevant to Triumphs I should point
the technical point to be included in the next FAQ, that is that a 5
month old dead cat doesn't fit in the under seat storage area.

- --
Mike Fleming