Conventional oil and running the lump in.

There are some interesting articles concerning motor oils at
http://tempest.ece.uiuc.edu/~cburian/mc/oil/index.html.  My personal
prejudice is to break the engine in on conventional oil and then switch to
synthetic.  The heat "curing" process for cast parts, especially pistons,
that occurs during the break in period is a critical factor in expected
engine life.  Triumph (and virtually all other bike manufacturers) design
with conventional motorcycle lubricants in mind.  However, I'm hard pressed
to believe that switching earlier would have a profoundly negative effect.
No break in is perfect, and the design engineers know that too.

Crash (If you haven't yet, you're not trying hard enough!)