Re: performance pipe 'tunes'

The dealer doesn't seem to have a CO meter (as expected). The new tune was loaded straight off (tune #9848 in case anyone is wondering).  There were 3 tune options; one for the stock pipe with catalysor, stock with no cat and 3rd for the sports pipe.
The bike now runs MUCH smoother upto 3500rpm than it did with the stocker; it is only a little louder than the stock pipe upto 5000rpm, but has a great growl beyond that.  Throttle response is noticeably improved from 2000-4500rpm; haven't tried the top of the rev range yet.
I can only say that I am exceptionally happy with the new pipe; better looking, sounding and significant improvement in engine characteristics; it is also v. quiet for a sport pipe and good value compared to the T5 high/low pipes.

cheers
Jonathan

Jonathan wrote:
>Does anyone have any advice on whether it is very inadvisable to run the
Triumph sport exhaust with the EFI program for the stock pipe?  I have done
this for a few days, as the dealer said he could upload the tune 'while I
wait'  if I had fitted the pipe myself.  The bike seems to run fine on the
new pipe with stock programme; I guess being EFI it just adjusts for the
change in air flow; the idle is not that smooth, which I hope will improve
with the proper programme.

The idle (and overall performance) will improve when the new tune is
loaded. You should expect to have the response as smooth as you had it with
the stock exhaust.

>As my dealer doesn't have a CO meter (almost certainly) what is the
process to adjust this so that it doesn't stall on idle, without a meter
available?
>cheers

That is why the gas analyzer is so important, because there is no way to
accurately set the tune without it. The gameboy uses a value to represent
the setting of the CO percentage. So you may read your ECM and get a CO
measurement of 22. Another person may read theirs and get a value of 15.
Both bikes may be at 1.6% CO, but you would have no way of knowing without
the gas analyzer.

If you needed to increase the setting, it is just a matter of increasing
the value using the gameboy - the same with reducing it. The problem is
that you will not know what the setting is and therefore will not be able
to tell if you are in the 1.3 - 1.7% range recommended.

If you have a problem with stalling or response, you can make changes on
the gameboy, but you would have to ride the bike between each setting
session to see if you had reached a point where it was working and the
problem was reduced.

- - Eric