Front brakes

Hi all,

    It seems to me that several people are not as thrilled as they
could be with the feel of the front brakes on these wonderful
machines.  Has anyone out there managed to fix theirs?  I'm determined
to sharpen mine up.

    When I was booking my bike in to get the sports exhaust fitted, I
asked the guy (not sure who, but one of the service guys at Jack
Lilley) about the brakes.  He says every ST he has ridden has been the
same, and I think he said that bleeding didn't cure it.  I've tried
the lazy man's bleeding (tie the brake lever to the handlebar
overnight) and that had a good but short-lived effect; I'll ask them
to bleed the brakes while the bike is in.

    I've also corresponded with Steve Lilley (of Jack Lilley fame) by
email and one solution he's suggested is a different master cylinder,
on the basis that a master cylinder which can move more fluid (larger
piston?) will mean less lever travel.  This makes some sense to me,
but I'm concerned that it won't clear up the problem of lever travel
increasing over time.

    At least one of the articles I've read said something about the
Sprint ST brakes being based on the 955i setup but deliberately less
sharp; different calipers were mentioned.  Does anyone out there know
the precise differences between the 955i and Sprint ST front brakes?

    I'll pass on any discoveries to the list.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              if you think that angle grinders are
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___    the funnest tool [...] you obviously
+44 171 721 2672 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   had a childhood sadly deprived of
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   oxy-acetylene cutting gear.
'99 Sprint ST   \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Andy the Pugh