RE: Oil Filters, Hugger, Backrest?, and Top Speed

I haven't heard of any backrest plans from Triumph. I am still waiting for
Triumph and the aftermarket sector to produce the various items they have in
the works for the ST. I spoke to Jack Lilley in the UK and they are in the
process of making lots of carbon fiber bits such as front and rear fenders.
I suggested they also make a carbon fiber dash and windscreen inner covers.
He is looking into it. In regards to Corbin, I had the same bad experience
on my 95 Sprint. I tried to buy a Corbin seat for it. After receiving 2
wrong seats (they were for the Trophy), and one that was cut on the edges
from bad padding installation, I gave up and asked for my money back. I ran
the stock seat the entire time I had it (I sold it for the new ST).

 Rick Paukert wrote:
> Anybody know if Triumph will make a backrest for the Sprint ST?  I'd love
> see this option as I HATE giving any money to Mike Corbin for (in my
opinion)
> an overpriced product and crappy service.  His seat is the only way to get
> backrest save driving around with a top trunk all the time.  Backrest
would
> be easy to do bolting it where the grab rail is now.  Should be sturdy
enough
> and the same black finish would look good.  Anyone else ride two up and
think
> this would be a good thing?  Eric, please tell Triumph and/or Skyking etc
and
> see if they'll consider it.

I ride 2 up and am definitely looking for a backrest. I have a toprack on
order and was planning on using the Givi top plate and having the option of
using any Givi bag with one of their backrests on it. The top racks seem to
be lost somewhere though, mine has been on order since I ordered the bike.
My second plan is using a backrest for a Kawasaki Concours which I have
already purchased, that was about $90. I am working on a couple of blocks of
aluminum that I am hoping will clamp to the grab rail and act as a mount for
the backrest. I could then use this backrest with another mount on the top
plate also. I am having some trouble with this whole scheme since my tools
consist of files and hacksaws. I think someone with a milling machine could
make short work of this. I'll keep you updated on my progress if you wish.
My third and final choice would be a Corbin if and when they become
available even though they make a really bad seat it seems to be the only
way to get a backrest right now.

Paul & Delores Steinbacher
99 Triumph Sprint ST(Red Wind)