More bolts...

Questions for those who've had the misfortune of leaks...
Do the leaks develop gradually? Or do you lose a bolt or
two and all of a sudden have a sump full of oil on the floor
or on the road front of your tire?

What size are the sump bolts? Worth carrying a couple
of generic bolts of proper thread for roadside replacement?
Or do they break off and leave a threaded hunk in the case?

The reason I ask is I'm waiting for my dealer to get bolts
for the job. I also have a trip planned and really want to
take the Sprint. I've got some time, but with the way
Triumph seems to work, it may not be enough...

For general info, I'm planning on two oil changes this
weekend, one on the Sprint and one on a Honda Hawk
which uses the filter that is supposed to cross with
the Triumph part. I'm going to cut them both open to
see how they compare and will report next week.