Bolts, gauges, cables and luggage

    I had the bolt recall done on Saturday, at Hughenden M40.  I don't
know if they'd done any before, because the service manager expected
it to take "oh, an hour and a half".  It took over four hours,
including fixing the fuel gauge and replacing the throttle cable (both
of which should have been done before I collected the bike, but I
digress).

    The staff were friendly enough; the service manager (Mike) seemed
not to be having a good day, but accepted that the throttle cable was
warranty work without much argument - Triumph warrant cables for 3,000
miles/3 months; my bike now has 4,700 miles on it and is six months
old.  I explained that I'd asked them to check the cable before I
picked the bike up, at which point it had 2,988 miles on the clock and
was five months old.  He accepted this and I didn't have to pay a
penny :-)  I did pick up an accessory plug and an Optimate adapter so
I didn't get away scot free ;-)

    The Optimate adapter is an official Triumph part and comes
complete with a warning that it should only be fitted by a trained
Triumph mechanic, lest Dire Consequences result.  I had a laugh about
this with the parts guy, who said that the same warning comes on the
Triumph gloves!

    I say my fuel gauge is "fixed"; what I mean is that it no longer
reads completely randomly, but stays pegged on full until about 100
miles and then drops rapidly.  So it's not completely fixed but it is
usable now and the warning light stayed out until I'd done 190 miles
on Sunday, on about 17 litres of fuel :-)

    I've booked in to have the luggage fitted in two weeks, and then
my life will be nearly complete ... apart from the brakes, the
exhaust, ... ;-)

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              if you think that angle grinders are
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___    the funnest tool [...] you obviously
+44 171 721 2672 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   had a childhood sadly deprived of
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   oxy-acetylene cutting gear.
'99 Sprint ST   \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Andy the Pugh