Polishing

I have a few questions on polishing of the different components of the
ST.  The polished brake lever and wheels look great, but I am curious
how well they remain polished without extra attention.

As everyone knows, Steel rusts, but aluminum (as I know it) also gets
dull after it has been polished.  The dulling is due to a thin oxide
layer (corrosion) that forms and in turn protects the remaining aluminum
from further corrosion.  It then seems to me that polishing of aluminum
members would produce a dull appearance. This is in part why I expect
Triumph and other manufacturers coat these parts.

Is a clear coating required after polishing to maintain the polished
look?  Or, are these parts aluminum allows that do not need coatings to
protect them?

I would appreciate anyones thoughts, especially of a technical nature,
but I also would like general observations as well.

..Richard

Still waiting for my ST to come in .... and man is it hard!!!
BTW, my dealer has had this ST on order since February for his showroom.