RE: Polishing

Dulling depends on the aluminum alloy used.  In my days of polishing
everything possible I have polished everything from magnesium to cast
aluminum and forged aluminum 6061-t6.
After the first initial polish use something like Mother's aluminum polish.
It has no abrasives and it leaves a coating.  If you polish anything there
will always be some upkeep for keeping them nice and shinny.  I have
polished Porsche alloys on my 65 bug and they will forever require
attention.  I have never heard of anybody coating polished aluminum and
don't know if it would stick very well as most any polish you use will leave
a protective residue.  If you were to try to remove the residue you may
damage the finish (chemical reaction).
One thing of note on the use of degreasers on polished parts.  Some
degreasers will damage polished parts.  Particular offenders are enzyme
based degreasers.

My .02

Martin