RE: Polishing

As everyone knows, Steel rusts, but aluminum (as I know it) also gets
dull after it has been polished.  The dulling is due to a thin oxide
layer (corrosion) that forms and in turn protects the remaining aluminum
from further corrosion.  It then seems to me that polishing of aluminum
members would produce a dull appearance. This is in part why I expect
Triumph and other manufacturers coat these parts.

Is a clear coating required after polishing to maintain the polished
look?  Or, are these parts aluminum allows that do not need coatings to
protect them?

I would appreciate anyones thoughts, especially of a technical nature,
but I also would like general observations as well.

Richard,
I ran a 73 Bonneville for 10 years. I was nicknamed "Capt. Chrome" by my
cohorts because of all the polished bits I had on it. I did a major
restoration on the bike after I had it for a couple of years. During this
process I polished every bit of aluminum on the bike. I was able to do this
because I had access to the local shop's commercial grade polishing
equipment and supplies. (It cost me beer and lots of it for access). I found
that the polished aluminum did indeed start to dull over time. After much
trial and error I found a product called Quator (pronounced water) which
later changed it's name to Xtreme Polish. This came in a can packed with
wadding impregnated with the compound. I found that a monthly polishing of
these parts not only kept them bright, it also improved the finish over
tiem. This was acceptable as I liked to hang out in the garage and drink
beer with my friends and work on the bikes. The short of it.... If you
polish it you will need to keep polishing it. If you polish it and clear
coat it, you will have to strip it every 5 years as the clear coat turns
yellow over time.

End of st-digest V1999 #78