Re: 1st service

Lance LaCerte, Psy.D. wrote:
>I'm coming up on my first 500 mile service on the ST and have a couple of
>questions.
>
>1) If I do the service myself, will it invalidate the Triumph warranty?

In the US - no it will not - other countries have varying requirements.
Make sure to have proof (ie sales slip for filter and oil) to show that the
service was performed.

>2) Are there any more aspects/checks to the service that are not listed in
>the Scheduled Maintenance chart in the owner's handbook. (i.e., did anyone's
>dealer do more than was listed; are there more services listed in the shop
>manual?).

Pretty much just a check and adjust service. Look for leaks, tighten and
lube the chain etc.

>3) I have heard conflicting information regarding valve adjustment --- I
>understood that valvle adjustment was to be every 6,000 miles, but the
>Owner's manual lists it at 12,000 ----- which figure is correct????

98 T5's required first valve adjustment at 6000 miles and then every 12000
thereafter (6K, 18K, 30K)

The ST's first adjustment is at 12,000 and then every 12,000 thereafter.
(12K, 24K, 36K)

- - Eric