Re: Ten Best Bikes

     Opening the latest Cycle World I find that they have simply confirmed
     what we all know, that the Sprint ST is the Best  Sport Tourer.
     Though I'm not sure what they think the competition is as the VFR is
     in another class.

     Last week I was lucky enough to meet up with fellow lister, Marc
     DeVries from Belgium. Marc was kind enough to let me test drive his
     new red ST. (He wasn't even drunk at this point!) I have also recently
     driven the VFR800 so I was in a position to make a good first
     impression comparison.

     The immediate impression is that the finish and ergonomics on the ST
     are as good as the Honda, which means of course that they are
     excellent. The Triumph is by far the better looking bike with that
     beautifully sculpted fairing and wonderful cockpit view. I also prefer
     the Triumphs brakes over the Hondas linked system although the initial
     front lever travel is quite alarming until you get used to it. The
     main advantage the ST has though, is that wonderfully flexible engine.
     Good power. loads of torque and it runs with impeccable manners from
     way down the rev range. There is no comparison here, the Honda cannot
     compete.

     And that, as they say, leads me to my point. I appreciate that the VFR
     is aimed at the sports-tourer market and was until recently a class
     leader, but the Honda gives up 150cc and costs £1000 less. Any
     comparison of the motors is grossly unrealistic. That leaves the Honda
     languishing in a lesser class as top of the cheaper sports tourers in
     the company of the ST2 and GSX750F while the Triumph is in the heavy
     weights, thoroughly trouncing the ST4 and BMW. If I was strapped for
     cash I'd buy the Honda, I'm not so my order for the Triumph still
     stands. Now all I need is for my dealer to find one! At this stage I
     don't care what colour it is. (although I'd really like that
     translucent yellow the Daytona comes in.)

     Just an opinion of course.
     Martin

     '97 Suzuki TL1000S (Grease Spot)
     '79 Guzzi  V50 II  (Thumper)