Sprint ST 10,000km overview

Hallo list members,

Yep, I have more then 10,000km on the ST. I own it since 04/20/99 so its
about
two months now. I'm glad I'd made the decision to buy it. The last 4,000km I
was
on holydays travelling through Ireland. I must say that the roads in Ireland
are the
best to test a motorcycle. The surface is (most of the time) very good but
You have
a lot of bumps and holes in it. The roads aren't straight at al, they are
very twisty.
And You never now what's behind the next bend. I had everything on the bike,
the
paniers the topbox and also a Bagster tankbag. I didn't had any problems
with
the bike except for a flat tire. You go through the bends without thinking
on how
You should take them. The bike feels like You were born with it, so usual. I
even
took someone with me on the bike and still it stays in perfect balance,
without
wobbeling even on the badest roads. As for concumption, through Ireland it
did less then 5liter/100km driving on speeds between 60 to 110 km/hour.
Going on higher speeds it consumes much more but I think for such a bike
it is even reasonable. I had a 7.5liter/100km when driving between 170-190
Km/hour
this with the paniers and the topbox. I think this is very good comparing to
other
bikes of this range. So for me it's the most perfect bike I ever had.

I know I should talk about what I don't like at the bike. First it are the
mirrors,
on the Irish roads they are alway's shaking. Then the topcase has a few
problems,
there are some bolts visible on the outside on the back (the opposite from
where the
lock is fitted) and these rust. There is also a plastic cover over the grip
where the
topcase is fitted on the rack, this isn't fit good enough (maybe need some
rubbers)
and is shaking all the time.

Now some values :
	- average consumption : 5.522liter/100km
	- max consumption : 7.627liter/100km
	- min consumption : 4.503liter/100km

Eric I got some Excell sheet with all values, maybe to put somewhere on the
site.

The rear tire is also worn out, I will replace it when it let them do the
10,000km service
next week. I'm curious about valve clearence, I hope they will be OK. The
service
manual says to check them on 20,000km for the first time but my dealer say
Triumph
claims to do it on 10,000km the first time and then every 20,000km.

I will thank Eric for this great list, it brings people together. I saw
Martin Fay in
Ireland, and we had a little reunion. I met him through this list, so we had
our first
European meeting.

Sorry about the length of my e-mail, but I think I'm one of the first with
10,000km
on the ST.

Happy driving and a lot of luck
	Marc.

driving his "Celtic Lady"

PS: this name I got from Martin. My license number starts with "MNA" this
means
woman in Gaellic. So I think the name is choosen well.

Marc de Vries
Siemens Atea
Tel +32 (014) 253949
E-mail office: Marc.DeVries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx