RE: Questions

Allways check oil and other levels with the bike on NO stand.
Put the bike on the side stand, then go over to the right side of the bike
and pull it towards you (delicately). At a certain point you will "feel"
the point of balance. Now you are ready to check your oil-level.
You can allways ask somebody to be ready just in case you would pull the
bike too much towards you.

About chain tension: I allways proceed as follows: Put the bike on the side
stand, stand to the left side of the bike, place your belly on the saddle
and push the rear of the bike down. If you have minimum 2cm it's OK.

If you place a Scottoiler, you don't need all that: on my Trophy I had one
for 20.000 km, never had to tension the chain between two services or tyre
replacements. It's really worth the investment.

Philippe