ST Impressions

I couldn't wait any longer, so we picked up my ST this afternoon!
WAHOO! Though I must say it is torture keeping her RPMs less than 3500
during the first 100 miles.  Lisa's chomping at the bit also since she
has to stay behind to keep from loosing me. :0  However, she is really
having a great time being able to out run me :>

I don't have enough miles on her yet to provide much comparison, but
I'll try and give a few impressions of the differnences between the two
as I note them.  Bear in mind, having two bikes next to one another
gives one a chance to nit pick the differences far more than you can
with only one bike.  I will highlight any point that I think is
significant enough to be concerned over, otherwise these observations
are simply minute details that gives each bike a little individuality -
much like looking at a set of twins and noticing one has few grey hairs
and the other doesn't.

1)  The wind screen on the newer one has "tinting" around the edge where
it mounts - Lisa's is entirely clear.  I believe (hope) this may reduce
glare on the instruments.  It however has a minor fit problem with one
of the ends of the "wings".

2)  The new one does not seem to have as much "mechanical clatter" at
idle.  I am wondering if this will change during break-in or if they
have made changes that result in the difference?

3)  I can really tell the difference in power delivery at the low RPMs
as the new bike breaks in.  It feels like a dog right now when you roll
on from 2000 to 3500 rpm.  I know this changes as it is broken in, it's
just interesting to have two identical machines to compare.  BTW I
wouldn't think it a dog if I did't know what her potential is once she
gets her legs under her.

4)  The quality of a couple items seems to be a little less on the new
one than on Lisa's (only minor):  The finish on the grab rail isn't as
consistent on the new ST, one of the rubber boots is made from slightly
thinner/flimsier rubber, and the coating of the frame near the steering
head has some slight defects.

5)  The quality of a couple items seems to be a little better on the new
one.  One of the rubber boots is better on the new ST and the clean up
of the welds on the pipe is better.

6)  My gas gauge read bone dry as I left and we immediately stopped,
only to add 1.5 gallons - looks like I have one of the AWOL gauges.

We also picked up Lisa's ST with her bags today.  It looks nice, but
seeing them side by side, I really like the ST's lines without the
bags!! Unlocking the seat is possible, but difficult.  I know there was
a fix for seats not unlocking, but does anyone know if this also fixes
hard to turn locks?

BTW, Lisa has thought about naming the bikes "Trouble" and "Trouble's
Double", but we both have a problem with calling a bike "Trouble".  It
just might come true!

..Richard and Lisa White
Twin Red STs
'98 Red Exec for sale - Great price!!