Re: Fuel gauges again

>Eric Sheley wrote:
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> Where did you get this information ?
>>
>> Have you had it done?
>>
>> Last we had heard, there was a problem with the sending unit where the
>> sensor was sticking and that was causing the problem. I am not trying to
be
>> flippant but I cannot see how a faulty gauge would be the problem. Mine
>> operates within the parameters of the design (ie not reading usage until
>> the gas level drops to the top of the sensor) and the only fault I can
find
>> is that it takes a long time for it to show full after fill up. Once it
>> starts moving, it is fine (wether at empty or 1/4 tank etc).

The last thing my service manager told me before I drove the bike away for
the first time was, "Brian, the only problem we know of with these bikes at
this time is......the fuel gauges are bullox. Let me know if you experience
any problems and we will take care of it."

I immediately noticed that the gauge stays well into the full mark until
about 120 miles and then drops like a stone to empty, for a range of about
225 miles before sweat starts to form on my forehead. (I had to fill up at
around 180 miles on the 1200Trophy, which had a gallon larger tank. Just
because the rest of the world uses that stupid metric system doesn't mean I
have to! :)

My gauge worked fine for two fill-ups. Now it flutters all over the place
like Madame Butterfly. I talked to my dealer and they said that their
experience with the problem is the gauge itself. None of the sending units
that they have replaced have solved the problem. The light on the dash is
supposedly directly related to the gauge itself, and not indepent. When the
needle hits the red, the light comes on. So if the gauge is knackered, the
light will be as well. Sometimes immediately after a fill, my gauge will
rest in the red and annoy me with the light for 10-15 miles before moving up
into the middle.

I questioned this saying, "Well, is there a fix, or are you simply going to
install another bad fuel gauge?" I was told that it had been sorted out and
another gauge had been ordered. Along with the right side fairing, and gas
tank. It appears that my fairing was scuffed in transport, and my gas tank
is shedding it's clearcoat.

But as of this moment, Triumph is standing behind everything, (as they
should) and all is well.

I love my bike, but I must admit all of these little niggling problems that
I read about here on this site, kinda worry me. I haven't experienced the
idle problems or the coolant leaks yet.

I waited about 9 weeks for mine to show up, all the while being told, "It's
in shipping, it's in shipping". Maybe they were fixing all these things
before shipping her?

BT
99Sprint St......Vanessa (after Austin Power's woman)
66 T120TT
69 BMW R69S