Re: ST Impressions

At 10:48 AM 5/29/99 +0200, Biker wrote:
>Mechanically - and I'm no technician - there still seems to be
>that deadspot between about 2 and 3,000 rpm when you have to
>grit your teeth and coax it up to about 3,500. During that
>space, mine sounds and feels like the two fat ladies wearing
>old-fashioned roller skates passing over rumble-strips - it's a
>kind of growly sensation of rubberized vibration - by which  I
>mean you can feel the engine isn't performing optimally but all
>the vibrations and extra power it's using to get there are
>coming to you through some well-insulated medium and you only
>feel it indirectly. It reminds me of the bike they lent me while
>I was waiting for the ST - which was an Aprilia Pegaso -
>completely different bike, but as you revved up it was as if the
>whole bike was giving you feedback through the grips, pegs and
>saddle.

Seems to me like there are a couple of spots where the engine response
changes rather abruptly, at 2500 and 3000.  Below 2000, pretty much
forget it; I didn't expect anything else.  From 2000 to 2500 there is
some torque coming on, but still pretty anemic.  At 2500 there is
another bump, and finally at 3000 you really get into the beginning
of the happy zone.  Below 3000 there is noise which I believe is gear
noise, which disappears abruptly at 3000.  It is distinctive and
regular enough that I don't need to look at the tach to know I have
fallen just below 3000.  So anyway, I normally just motor around
town in proper gear to stay in the 3000 - 4000 range, unless I am
putting around a corner.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx

End of st-digest V1999 #89