Rear Shock for ST

When we were riding some back roads Friday I noticed that the rear shock
seems to be out of damping capabilities. I've only got about 3,500 on the
bike so I'm pretty disappointed in the shock. It worked pretty good while it
worked but sure seems just about finished at this point, guess I'll max out
the damping screw and start shopping for a replacement. Does anyone have any
experience with anything other than stock? I'm a fan of Penske shocks but
reluctant to part with $1,000.

Paul & Delores Steinbacher
97 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Triumph Sprint ST(Red Wind)