Re: Filter Wrench, and Oil

I did the 6K change myself.  I forgot the size of filter wrench, but they are available in a 3/8" drive.  It took me two stops at auto supplies to find it.  As far as waiting for 6k miles, I did because I ride the bike often.  I have managed to put 6400 miles on it since the end of June.  Of course, if it takes three years to reach the 6k point, I would change the oil sooner.  I decided to go with the $$$ Truimph/Mobil 1 4T oil.  The dealers were able to convince me of this, and the added cost is well worth the peace of mind.  Keep in mind that the wet clutch will most probably be affected by additives such as Teflon or Slick 50, so I would definately avoid such additives.  Be sure to get a new crush washer, as the old one was pretty mashed on mine.  Be sure that the engine oil is warm before removing the plug so that more oil will vacate.  Also, you are safe to dump the entire jug of Triumph oil in the sump without worry of having too high of an oil level.  The level is right at the High line when the bike is level.  Be sure to put oil in the new filter before screwing it on, as this will significantly reduce the amount of time taken for the oil pump to supply the engine with oil when starting.  I wasted a bunch of time "leveling the bike" by placing makeshift shims and blocks under the centerstand and front tire, because I was afraid of overfilling it.  This is not necessary.

>>> Erik Miner <axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/02 1:05 PM >>>

Does anyone know of a good filter wrench that fits the ST?  I'm looking for
one that is designed to take a 3/8 drive.
Also is anyone following the 6K oil change intervals that Triumph
recommends?  I just can't bring myself to go that far between changes and
will stick with the old 3k intervals. In that vein I'm wondering what other
folks are using for oil? I"ve been looking around and I think I'll be using
Motul 3100 semi synth 15-50. I really can't see spending $10.00 a quart for
the Triumph/Mobil 1 4T , or the Motul 300V full synth,  Opinions :-))
TIA,
Erik