RE: Y2K meets original

Dan,

I don't think the pistons seize; Something else is going on that no one has
come up with an explanation for, at least none that I have seen posted. The
symptom seems to be that the brakes, (lever) gets mushy after some period of
time/mileage. I have noted that removing the wheel or calipers, forcing the
pads (pistons) back, then reassembling brings STATIC feel at the lever back
to a very solid feel. I just replaced my pads last night and took the time
to clean everything (pistons included) thoroughly. The lever is solid and
engages instantly! This has happened to me before though, and I totally
expect to be back to ground zero within a few weeks. All of this is not
meant to say that the brakes do not function during use with a mushy lever!
Even though I can bring the lever right against the grip at times (sitting
at a standstill) I would certainly not attempt this little trick when using
the brakes. Mushy lever and all the brakes function very well indeed. I'm
not sure I would want any more braking power than I have available. Grabbing
a handful during a panic situation you know.

Paul & Dee