Re: Y2K meets original

Paul, Dee

My brake lever feel was getting very mushy and to my tastes not giving me the
best of feedback, though the brakes were still working well.  I took the
calipers off and pumped the brake lever while watching the pistons.  The
rearmost pistons never moved until the front pistons were fully extended, then
the outer piston of the rear set fully extended before the inner rear piston
started moving.   I've never had four piston calipers on my previous bikes (or
cars) so maybe I'm missing something, but I imagine that all four pistons should
be moving the same amount and the same time and applying the same pressure
against the pads.  Am I missing something, or is this how the caliper works
without the disc between the pads?  After cleaning and working the pistons back
and forth a couple of times, the lever feel came back and one finger braking
producing near stoppies (very linear braking power and no grabbiness).  After
about 500 miles, the mushiness in the lever is working its way back in and it
takes more effort at the lever to produce the same stopping power.

Dan
Santa Fe