Weekend Trip

Well, Richard and I left Thursday night for a weekend trip in the Hill
Country with HSTA.  We were hoping to leave late Thursday afternoon but
work and problems with my cage meant that we left at 7:00 p.m. for a
three hour ride to Austin in the dark.  We generaly don't like to ride
at night for these distances since little (and sometimes big) furry
creatures have a higher tendency to jump in the road at night.  We made
it and then had the next day to play in the Hill Country, taking a route
suggested by TexMoto in their book.  Go to http://www.texmoto.com/,
click on Rides, then Central Texas, and go for the Hill Country Ride.
We took that route, but ended up in Kerrville instead of coming back
into Austin.  It was a great ride.

It was however, an expensive day.  We were coming to an intersection on
a fairly steep incline, with me behind Richard.  I thought he was going
to be moving out, and started checking traffic.  I looked forward, and
he was stopped.  I had my right wheel turned slightly and when I braked
to stop, which I did, and over she went, and there wasn't a damn thing I
could do about it!  Richard parked his bike and helped me pick her up.
Same old story.  Scratched middle fairing panel, slight scratch on the
top piece, bent brake lever, and gouged pannier.

I'll never get my bike looking scratch free again, and I beginning to
wonder whether it is wise to keep trying, especially after the last
attempted paint job on my top box and side pannier (horrible quality).
Well, we'll probably take the "old" pieces (center fairing and pannier
cover) from when Richard dropped her in the garage and have them
repainted, as the gouges in them are less than what was done on Friday.
I'll also take the pannier cover that was scratched in Arkansas and have
her done as well.  At least I'll be able to ride while they're getting
painted!  I'll touch up the cockpit area as that scratch isn't too bad.
Then MAYBE she can stay pretty for a little while. . . . I'll also be
replacing the brake lever.  It was ridable, after moving lever up a
ways, but the lever was bent back and down, so leaving it like this is
not in the cards.

Well, the next day, we took roads into Hunt, down by Lost Maples State
Park, 335 into Leakey, 336, and 337, retracing a few of our steps from
the day before, but no matter when you are on great roads with great
company!!  There were probably 100 bikes at the HSTA gathering, and we
were the only two Sprint STs.  Two Trophies were also there.  As we were
sitting in the bar that night, I heard my name, looked up, and there was
lister James Lock. He and two friends were riding through the Hill
Country and landed at the same hotel!  We saw his "Cool Blue" that at
that time had 950 miles on her.  She looked great, even in the dark!

We returned home on Sunday via Llano, Marble Falls, Lime Creek Road, FM
2222, and Hwy. 290.  There was a section of 2222 (between Capital of
Texas Highway and Mopac) that used to intimidate me (curves up and down
a hill), but after Colorado, no more!  I took it faster yesterday than I
ever have, and I felt the more comfortable doing it!

The bikes performed very well! Richard traded for a while with two other
riders go get some time on a '98 VFR and an F3.  He'll let you know what
he thought.

Our next step is to get new two new back tires.  I milked 7,300 from my
D205, while Richard put only about 5500-6000 on his.  The difference is
in the riding style.  I don't burn up the roads quite like he does . .
.  yet.  I'll probably go for another D205 on the rear, but he may go
for a D207, though at the pace we're going, I don't know if I want to
replace tires as often as we'll be replacing D207s. Right now I have in
excess of 13,000 miles (since the first of March) on my bike and
Richard's over 10,000 miles (since the end of May).

Great riding, and keep the rubber side down!

Lisa White
Houston, Texas
1999 Red Sprint ST