Re: st-digest V1999 #290

The answer to this is no.
If you drive rationally and only want to fill the tank when
you're getting close to empty, rather than leaving, say, 5
litres spare in there every time, just to be on the safe side,
then the only reliable indicator is a fuel gauge or reserve
tank. Since the Sprint doesn't have a reserve, unlike the
Trophy, and mileage varies greatly according to whether you're
in town in heavy traffic or out on the open road with no
traffic, I don't think you can rely on anything else.
What do YOU call a reasonable margin?

BTW, I think your message was probably inspired by Monty Python.
Next thing, you'll be saying "When I was young, we rode round on
sidecars with no wheels, and WE didn't complain!"

: ) -

> You're joking right???
> Don't you already know how far you can travel on a tank, with
a reasonable
> margin?
> Fuel gauges are universal on bikes, neither are "Reserve"
settings. My
> Monster had neither a fuel gauge or a reserve portion of the
tank.

> Larry
> >
> > Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:05:17 -0700
> > From: "Valerie Merges" <cyberbab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: newcomer
> >
> > Someone should just develop an aftermarket "trip-ometer" of
some =
> > type <snip>The device would then alert us when we are
nearing the =