Fuel capacity was st-digest V1999 #290

"Retherford, Martin" wrote:

> On a similar note I rode 212 miles on a tank and it was sputtering big time.
> When I got some gas the next day I had put 5.1XX US gallons into the tank.
> I guess it is a little more than 5 gallon capacity uh?
>
> Martin

One of the first things I did on my ST after getting it last July
and discovering the gauge problem was to remove the tank, (wanted to
see what was under there anyway) completely drain it, add precisely 1/2
gallon, ride 2 miles to a fuel pump and then fill completely to the
bottom of the filler opening.  It took exactly 5.05 gal US.  This is as
listed in the owners manual (5.55 gal US) but I know that sometimes
those specs are incorrect and I just needed to check for myself.

Your bike must get considerably poorer fuel mileage than mine.  I can
ride mine for 200 miles at an average of 85-90 MPH indicated
(Interstate speed limits in Arizona are 75 MPH so traffic flow is often
normally averaging 80-85 MPH) and when I stop for refueling, it rarely
takes much over 4-4.2 gallons.

Gary
Tucson Arizona