Re: Sprint 'ST', of course.

Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 02:19 PM 11/09/1999 -0500, Bird, Garry wrote:
>  >1).  Has anyone had any trouble with the centre stand that was replaced on
>  >the recall?  I am still not sure about using it much.  It seems to still be
>  >very apt to be "knocked off" if I'm tugging and pulling on the bike much.
>  >Actually, I think it takes very little to push it off.
>
> I've noticed the same thing. I would only feel safe leaving it on the
> centerstand in public if it was parked pointed uphill.

I just got my bike back from the shop and the mechanic warned me to be
cautious about using it for more than maintenance. He liked the ease
with which it worked in comparison to the previous one. He also warned
me not to sit on it while it was on the center also.

>  >2).  How about stalling?  Has anyone's bike shown signs of stalling when you
>  >are gearing down and pulling in the clutch?  Another related problem is that
>
> Never had the problem with mine.

Even with out mentioning the stalling or rough idle, he recommended that
I, how you say it, "abuse the bike more" to help with valve seating
(2.5k miles). He had noticed the rough running at the lower rpms and had
not been able to get it settled by adjusting the O2 setting either up or
down.

The bike has such good torque that I usually don't take it much over 6k
rpms, typically 4k-5k. I may just have to stop using 5th and 6th.
Needless to say I followed his advice and proceeded to run it more in
the 7-9k range. The bike took to it fine, a bit more buzzy in the handle
bars. I believe it was pulling 7.5k rpms at 70 and doing close to 100
coming up to red line. Damn, what a bike! You have to watch it ever
minute or it will just pull right up to and through red line with out
any slack off in it's willingness to pull and keep pulling. The results,
it did seem to be idling smoother at the end of the trip and after a
full cool down cycle. It didn't have any stumbling or attempted stalling
after riding it and letting sit for a bit and running it again. You got
to be cruel to be kind. I believe Gary's bike is in the same mileage
range as mine, so it may be a matter of being to "nice" to our mount
that is causing it to act sickly. Let it breath and run.