RE: Corbin seats

At 03:43 PM 11/11/1999 -0800, Bruce McCurdy wrote:
 >Clearly this is not a product universally respected by everyone, but it does
 >seem as if a lot of the negative comments about Corbin relate to poor
 >customer service and prices perceived as too high.  My point is that these
 >are areas of personal opinion and do not speak to the quality of the product
 >itself.  I'm not saying the dissenters are incorrect, just that the subject
 >matter is subjective and our opinions should be considered as such.

I'm sorry if you were confused about my comments and those of others. I
think there is a very real concern with the QUALITY of the product. I am
talking about the quality of the stitching, the quality of the seat cover
and the fit to the bike. Even the ST seat highlighted on the Corbin site
does not appear to fit very well to the tank (although without a bigger
picture I will admit that it is difficult to be sure).

I bought the seat for my Harley (my second Corbin) from the Daytona store
during Bike Week. One week later the entire seam on the left let go - I
rode it to Corbin, fully expecting a new seat. Instead what I got was
"sorry - got to send it back to the factory as you have used it". After the
nearly three week wait to get it back (with lots of "we shipped it
yesterday") I re installed it. I then went on a long ride where I spent two
days in and out of a lot of rain. The leather developed a series of
wrinkles - taking it back to Corbin, I was told that the leather must have
come from a bad batch. They would recover the seat if I sent it off to
California ..........

The next seat was for my 96 Sprint (Corbin #3). After putting some miles on
it I realized that the cut was not where it needed to be for optimal
comfort (too much of a bucket). As before, the seat had to go to
California. Upon return one welt tore near the seam - Corbin superglued it
for me at no charge. Nice huh ?

Next was the Corbin for my 98 509 - it was the smallest of seats so far (it
was only a single), but had a large gap at the front right near the tank -
but it sat tight on the left - I didn't bother with sending it back as I
had gotten a good price on it from the dealer who was tired of watching it
sit on his floor.......

I am not complaining about the price, but when I pay what I consider to be
a "more than fair" price, I would like to receive a product that is of
higher quality than the stock seat (I could also do without their attitude
as well.....).

Does this mean I am a Corbin hater ? No - not at all. I think they make a
great product most of the time. I just wish that their quality control
standards were higher and that their customer service was better........

It does mean that I am not going to readily hand over my money for Corbin

- - Eric