Re: Do it yourself Tires

I thank all for the usefull advice.  I think the "going rate" for mounting and balancing around here is $24 a pop.  I may have to stomach that one for the first one....at least I got a good deal on the tire $95 from Chaparral for a BT57.  I know everyone hates these things, but I want to keep a matched set for the time being.  I am going to "tool up" so that I can do the work next time, which will hopefully be 2 tires...hmmm..$48 plus the $24 for the first rear change...equals $72...almost a free front by doing it myself.  This guy has an interesting alternative to the conventional bead breaker http://www.wetleather.com/pages/tiremount.html  I'll keep looking!!

>>> "Marc A. Easley" <measley@xxxxxxxxxx> 11/12 3:24 PM >>>
David; I change and balance all Charla's and my tires.. We have a deal, with our nieghbor, to help each other, with tire changing. We have a bead breaker and use tire irons, to remove and install, new tires. Balancing we use a stactic balancer. (put an axle in, across rollers, heavy spot rolls to bottom) The cone adapter is hard to find. I used the shop's, the first time, it worked well.
Fast by Ferracci, has one for 996/916's, I feel would work. A couple of friend, have same need, so we are talking of sharing cost.
You are right...the cost saving, with two bikes...is alot.
Charla and I, are hard on tires...205 rear's lucky to get 4000..207 front..not sure...
Let me know, if you run across, any other answers..
Tried a bubble balancer....I dont trust it....

Thanks Marc