Re: Long distance ST riders (was Re: Time to buy)

Previously, you (Eric Sheley) wrote:
> On the way out to the ST Rallye in August, Mark Hanke from Melbourne did an
> official SS1000.

Good stuff.

> I was going to do a 1500 (already have done the SS1000)
> [...snip...]
> Really the only "hard" time is from about 2 a.m. to about 6 a.m. -

That brings up another question: how are the ST lights for middle of
nowhere, middle of the night riding? Or has anyone fitted aftermarket
driving lights to their bike?

> the road becomes really dark and boring and with the smoothness of the ST,
> the body naturally wants to sleep.

What I've found best for me is to leave early in the morning (very, very
early, definately pre-dawn, like 4AM), take a 20-minute power nap in the
mid-afternoon heat and pack it in about 11PM.  If I can't make the miles
in 18 or so hours, I just can't do them and any attempt to push further
just endangers me and others on the road.  Of course everyone personal
body clock is a bit different.

As I learned while trying to make a fast run from Clearwater FL to
Ottawa Canada, the worst thing is to leave at 6PM after a full day at
the office.  I would have been better getting a decent nights sleep and
hitting the road pre-dawn.  Live and learn.

> As Mark pointed out at the Rallye, the
> tank bag makes a really nice headrest, so if you get really tired, you can
> rest your head down on it and rest ..... God help you if the road turns
> though......

That's where the powernap comes in handy.

> The only other problem with that many miles was the pain from the seat
> ..... thus my trip to Sargent.

And many of us are very interested in the results.

- --
Bill