From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of dan & ann
curcio
Sent: 16 November 1999 16:18
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: winter storage/ battery tender

I plan to use a battery tender on my ST this winter.  I am going to attach
it
through the power port on the left side of the bike using the John Deere
plug.  As far as I can tell, this port is a direct connection to the battery
and should not affect the computer at all.  I am not worried about battery
damage either as sealed batteries are not really any different than a
regular
battery other than not being able to add water.  A maintainer should not
"boil" the water out of a battery so this isn't a concern.  If the battery
does get damaged I don't feel it is much of a loss as they appear to be
poorly
made with all the early failures that have been reported on this list.

Dan

PS.  I maintained the sealed battery in my '95 BMW M3 car for five winters
using a tender and it just recently died.  The normal life on these
batteries
is only 2-3 years with the high drain and the OBD computers are very
sensitive.