Re: ST caps

At 03:16 PM 11/17/1999 -0500, Bill Flowers wrote:
 >> BTW - the official Triumph marketing plan right now is to move away from
 >> model specific shirts, hats etc.
 >
 >Idiots!

Yes and no. The model specific items just weren't selling well enough, so
at least we know someone is awake at the wheel and looking at sales
figures. So they decided to focus on marque promotion instead. Not a
problem - except that I think they didn't address the reason the items
weren't selling. I think that most dealers were doing a poor job of
marketing the available product. The customers didn't see it (either
because it wasn't displayed or wasn't in stock) so they didn't buy it. The
dealer goes back to Triumph and says "See - nobody wants this stuff".
Triumph nods and away it goes....

There is, of course, a lot more to it than that, but you get the picture.
Mail order would have been ideal for the model specific items but I don't
think that Triumph is in a position to handle that right now.

But believe me they do understand the importance of clothing to their
success (just look at Harley). Hopefully this will work out and we can try
other offerings down the road.

- - Eric