Re: Suspension

I tightened both front and rear preload slightly.  If I could, I would have choked in a bit on the front dampening, but it is not an option.  My reasoning behind tightening it up was to reduce fork dive while braking, and to increase ground clearance in corners.  The bike rides a little rougher now, but with a relaxed, arms bent grip on the handlebars, it is not bad.  Going too tight is dangerous if you are at a point where the bike is riding at or near the full extended travel of the suspension, as the suspension has nowhere to go except in compression, which will not follow bumps very well.    Another bad point of going too tight on the suspension is that the front end will extend to maximum travel easier when rolling on the throttle in a turn....increasing the chance of headshake since the front will not follow bumps.  Flip-side to this (too loose) is under heavy braking, if the front is fully compressed, the suspension has nowhere to go except for extension....leading to a locked front tire when bumps are encountered.   I TRY not to lock my arms and remain loose, using my legs to hold onto the bike when braking... which helps combat the front end dive.  Also, light application of the rear brake  just PRIOR to grabbing  the front brakes will cause the rear of the bike to squat, lowering the center of gravity a hair, which will also make a difference.   Another thing to consider, is that unequal front to rear adjustments will cause the bike to steer differently, because front end geometry will be changed.  Rear high = quicker turning.  Rear low + slower turning.  I'll shut up now.