Re: Trouble, Branded Caps, MC Show

Its disturbing to hear first about a loose wrist pin overseas and now
Robert's trouble with his valve train.  These problems are a bit more serious
than the usual batteries, radiator glitches, and worn through wiring
harnesses.  I hope QC at Triumph is paying attention...

I agree with Triumph's current plan promoting the brand over particular
models.  At the show I saw the new 2000 Accessory Catalog and I think the
caps and other apperal is a nice selection.  In my area, its easy to take a
cap or anything to the mall and they'll embroider anything onto it.

Speaking of the Show, it was quite good.  All the major manufacturers were
there, but only a fraction of the aftermarket.  I would liked to have seen
more apperal, pipes, tires, and that sort of thing represented, but it is
definately a good time and worth going if at all possible.

Triumph had their trailer there and their full line of bikes, including a
preproduction TT600.  The TT should be a good seller, my only complaint is it
doesn't have a name.  I much prefer a name to a number ie Daytona over T595
or 955i.  That said, the silver Daytona, roulette green Speed Triple, yellow
and orange Sprint RSes, and blue Sprint ST all looked great!  My fav is still
the blue Sprint ST as it does what I want and it looks finished.  I don't
like the unfinished cockpit of the RS and Triumph's exposed engine just isnt
as pretty as others- except on the Speed Triple where anything ugly just
seems to make that bike look better.  Bottom line is as Triumph moves away
from the old modular foundation they started with, they are beginning to
build some serious bikes.

As far as Sprint ST competition is concerned, the VFR Interceptor is now a
mildly metallic yellow and has a high tech emmissions system- essentiall no
change.  The Ducati ST/4 has slightly bigger (uglier) graphics, a new power
accessory socket, a new cluch master cylinder (which doesn't seem to improve
the horrendous clutch pull effert at all), saddle bags are now included (for
$14,695 you should get a valet), as is a Kryptonite lock.  The ST4 comes in
red and yellow while the ST2 comes in red and a nice blue metallic.  The
ST4's frame is now a grey trellis instead of a goldish one.  All in all no
real significant changes.

Rick Paukert
The Woodlands, TX