Engine Troubles

Well, now I have to pipe in.  My friend (I shouldn't mention his name at
this point) has a 96(?) Daytona 1200 with about 60K kms on it.  He has the
local Triumph dealership do all of his servicing...ALL of it.  He gets the
scheduled maintenance (including valve adjustments) done twice as often
(every 6000 km) as the owner's manual dictates.  Guess what?  He just found
out he has a valve that is sinking into the head.  I guess the seat was
soft.  Whilst the dealer was checking this they decided to check the whole
head.  Well, his valves are getting loose in the guides, too.  What a
surprise it was for him to find out that the heads are a one piece affair.
That is to say the guides are not replaceable.  So, he has to totally
replace the head.  With this and the expected labour, he figures the bill
will reach about $4,000 Canadian (that's about $9.95 US, ha, ha) by the time
he buys the head, new valves, etc. and has the dealer put it all together.
The dealer is going to bat for him to try and get the factory to give up
something but so far Hinckley isn't saying squat.  My buddy has lined up a
helicopter, a video camera (a couple, actually) and an incendiary device
that will ignite just after the bike is released from the chopper.  Sorta
like a Triumph meteorite.  And did I mention this video, if created, will be
posted on the NET?  Of course, he won't do this unless Triumph totally
ignores or refuses any compensation.

p.s.  I checked my 'ST' service manual and apparently the same type of
construction is common on the 955 heads, too.  One piece.  When the guides
get loose, you gotta buy a new head ($2,000 CAD).

60,000 kilometres...what's 60,000 kilometres?  I have an '85 FXRS (Harley)
with 115,000 kms and it is still getting 2500 kms per litre of oil
consumption.  And that is including what is dripping out of it.  No
kidding!!!