flasher

I don't know if I am correct here, but I often reinforce my visibility to others in possibly threatening situations by illuminating the brights by HOLDING the Passing Lamp button until the threatening situation has passed.  I am not flashing between high-low and low, thus not creating some kind of friendly signalling pattern.  I am just trying to say that I am here, watch out!!  Some good points have been brought up about FLASHING brights, and how they signal other motorist to go ahead and pull out.  I am rethinking this tactic, especially if it conveys the opposite message for which I intend.  Scary huh.  Fact is, that driver's licenses are too easy to get.  It almost seems that some people get their license out of a cereal box.  Its all a part of the thrill of riding a bike!  It is these idiots for which most of the nuissance laws exist for today.  Unnecessary continuous double yellows, stoplights in absurd and rediculous locations (I really love the "smart ones" that a bike's weight will not trigger, thus making you wait for another vehicle to set it off, or simply run the damn thing.  I po-go the bike with the front brakes on these sensors which will sometimes helps.), speed limits that if adhered by would bore you into a deep sleep.  I think I'm starting to boil over again.  I will take my medication and put on my helmet now, and take a deep breath.

I do not particularly enjoy cycles riding around with their brights on continuously in daylight, and I could see how this may cause roadrage from the short-fused motorists, and believe that it is just annoying to others, who probably think that bikes should be banned and removed from our roads.  From a small car's point of view, being lower to the ground, those high beams are very bright, and no one enjoys starring directly at the sun for no reason.  I think I may have just contradicted myself, but it is a very interesting topic.  Has anyone run across any studies, statistics, etc. on this issue?