Chaintec oiler (longish)

     This weekend I finally found the time to do some of those motorcycle
     related jobs that I'd been promising I'd get around to. One of the
     things I managed to do was install the Chaintec chain oiler. Why a
     Chaintec and not a Scottoiler? Simple, I already had one.

     After the usual head scratching over where to install each component
     so that they were as inconspicuous as possible, I ended up with an
     almost invisible installation. For anyone looking for an oiler here's
     where everything fitted.

     1] Remove the side panels.

     2] On the right hand side of the rear subframe there is a bunch of
     relays. To the rear of these there is a plastic cable guide which is
     snapped into a hole in the frame. Remove the guide and cable tie the
     harness to the frame. Now bolt the Chaintec reservoir bracket to the
     hole in the frame and install the reservoir.

     3] Attach the clear tubing to the reservoir, run it down along the
     frame rail as far as the battery box, across to the left side beneath
     the battery box and onto the left frame rail. Use a few cable ties to
     hold it all in place.

     4] Next I fitted the inertia switch to the chain guard by supergluing
     it in place and then drilling two small holes and fixing with self
     tapping screws.

     5] Fill the reservoir with oil and allow it to flow down the tube
     BEFORE attaching to the inertia switch. When oil starts to drip from
     the tube attach it to the inertia unit. (This is not in the
     instructions but priming the system is almost impossible with the
     inertia unit connected.)

     6] Remove the chain guard fin (The lovely alloy piece). Run a length
     of tubing from the inertia unit to the rear of the swing arm. There is
     a narrow canal in the top of the swingarm, just in front of and below
     the chain which the tubing sits nicely in. I added a drop of superglue
     just to be sure it wouldn't move.

     7] Curve the tube down behind the mounting point of the chain guard
     and cut it about half an inch below where it curves to the vertical.
     connect the screw adjuster at this point and reinstall the chain guard
     fin.

     8] Attach the final piece of tubing (the applicator nozzle) and cable
     tie it to the chain guard fin. Bend it so that it sits just over the
     chain and beside the sprocket. It shouldn't 'touch' anything.

     And that's it. All you can see is the inertia switch and two short
     lengths of tubing. The reservoir is easy to get at by lifting the seat
     and the flow is adjusted by the valve invisibly mounted behind the
     chain fin. Best of all there is no messing with the FI system to get a
     vacuum, which was the original reason I bought this system for the TL.
     Once I'd figured where to put everything the installation took about
     30 minutes plus removal and fitting of the bodywork. I took some
     photos of the installation which I'll post when I get the film
     developed.

     Martin,
     Dublin, Ireland