Re: Oil Leak answer

In a message dated 11/29/99 4:51:22 PM, psteinbacher@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I have isolated the cause of the oil leak that arrived at the 18,000 mile

mark. The leak was caused by (as I suspected) an over zealous tightening of

the drive chain. This happened at 6,000 also, but I only suffered a very

slight leak, and it went away after a few days. This time the leak is larger

and has not gone away. The countershaft seal will be replaced by weeks end.

If you develop a leak, check the chain tension. If you take car of your own

chain don't be tempted to tighten it any tighter than the Triumph

specification. A while back I compressed my suspension using the paddock

stand and tie downs, found the tight spot, and adjusted the chain snug at

that point (just curious). On the center stand, the slack measured 1.4"

which corresponds nicely to the 35-40mm (1.37-1.57") specification given in

the shop manual. Triumph has somebody on the payroll that took geometry, so

don't assume you or your dealer knows better.

Paul & Dee