RE: First Bike?

>the Sprint is allot of bike - but is it too much for a realatively
>inexpirienced
>rider that feels comfortable on a 600 YZF?

I'll provide the same answer that was provided over and over on the Katana
list that I used to frequent. Step 1. Ask every biker you know if they
dropped their first bike (actually ask them how many time they dropped
their first bike). Step 2. Go to a dealer and price out just the plastic on
a modern faired bike.

Do you really want a Sprint ST as your first bike? NO, NO, NO! It has too
much power and weight for a beginner and you will most likely be in over
your head. Start with a used bike in the 400-600cc range and ride that for
a year. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want for your next bike,
and you won't cry nearly as much if you drop a bike you spent $2K on versus
$11K.

I wouldn't agree with the sentiment that the Sprint is too much bike for a
beginner.  The only bike I had previous to my current bike, Y2K Sprint ST,
was a 125cc Suzuki dirt bike when I was in high school.  I dont want to
fess up to my age, but lets just say it had been more than 20 years since I
had ridden a bike.  The Sprint is a very well mannered and with just a bit
of restraint by the rider is not going to toss you off like a bucking
bronco. Is there the possibility that you will drop it and scratch up the
paint, sure is. Without trying to embarass any of the more experienced
riders here, how many of you have had a slow speed/no speed drop, after you
were "experienced".

Mark Dieck
Y2K sapphire blue Sprint ST