Re: So y'all just had to talk about batteries

Martin
since the first recovery guy dropped me and the bike off home at
3 am and the second one came to collect at 10 am, I didn't have
much chance to look the bike over, but I could see no immediate
apparent damage to anything to the rear of about the handlebars
except for the snapped gear lever, two bolts missing from the
frame, the pannier that came off and all the side panels. There
were no fuel, oil or coolant leaks, and the case appeared
unscathed.
This is why I find it hard to believe it was irreparable.
But in a way I'm relieved.
When my Trophy went down one time, the damage was pretty
similar, though not as extensive on the front. Although the bike
was fixed, it never felt as stable or responsive after that and
I was glad to finally see the back of it, as I didn't feel
completely safe on it after the tumble.
I hate to say it, but I sometimes think mechanics do take short
cuts - like the time my GPz was knocked over by a transit van.
Caused about 1500 quids worth of damage, but even then they
didn't replace the main engine casing, just patched it up, and
it leaked slowly but surely ever after - the next buyer spotted
it and beat me down on the price because of it - so the moral of
the story is never to settle for second-best.

I might enquire whether they want to keep the bike.
But if they don't, and I can get it, what do I do with it then
start dissecting it for organs like a donor on his death-bed
or just offer it to all and sundry for spares?

Any ideas appreciated!

Tim